03 August 2011

Notting Hill


I’m sitting in our lounge room in Notting Hill: the muggy, sweltering London summer day settling down into a cool full-mooned evening, my hair whipped by gentle wisps of breeze and the smell of flowers and barbeque. Bowie on the stereo. Our house is all faded grandeur: a Georgian mansion sub-divided into apartments: the chandeliers are wonky and most of the bulbs don’t work, the garden overgrown. Feels like I’ve lived about a million lives since I’ve been here and it’s only been five or six weeks. It’s crazy how far away my old life seems: the workaholic go-go-go rat races. And while I loved it, I need to do things differently now. I’m getting what I need here, I have that feeling I get every two or three years or so – that feeling of leaping into the unknown. Scary and fun and unexpected and unsure. And the scariness and doubt is no less apparent than it was before I left, and I still don’t know if I’m pulling it together: but when I walk in the secluded secret heart of London or meet an amazing person or have a great conversation or see a band or a show or read a book in Hyde Park surrounded by squirrels or feel inspired....... I hope it’s worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Squirrels!!!! Pictures please.
    So glad to hear the trip abroad is doing you the world of good. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds perfect. so happy to hear you're doing well! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you are blogging so much! Photographs are beautiful and I like the mixture of topics, too. Just lovely. May read catch 22. Definitely WILL NOT watch Suspiria!
    And, it's so worth it. Can't wait to hear all of your stories.. and see you soon. Lots of love, Mel and Mia xx P.S Mia's tears are called "Mia's water"!! awwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete